Dinosaurs are basically my 2.5 year old favorite thing ever, other than work trucks. I hadn’t done a combination for the sensory table with dinosaurs yet. Luckily came across one of my friend’s posts on Instagram where she had this amazing idea!
I made homemade cloud dough out of flour and oil which was the perfect place to bury the dinosaurs for my son to find! I already had the dinosaur collection for my son, so just picked out some of the smallest ones so they would hide in the cloud dough easily. I didn’t have any of the cute sensory table set brushes (yet) so I just used an old clean makeup brush and it worked really well to wash the cloud dough/sand off. For the water I didn’t currently have any bath tablets so I just dipped in a crayola washable marker about 5 times and it dyed it blue, this of course isn’t needed and only for looks. For the “play area” I used pebbles and flattened blue marbles for the water in the play zone and random aspen wood slices for “trees”.
Dinosaur Dig Wash and Play
- Sensory Bins/ Sensory Tubs
- Pretend Play Dinosaurs
- Coconut/ Olive/ Vegetable Oil
- Flour / Rice Cereal
- Bath Color Tabs
- Brush (I used a makeup brush)
- First I made the “cloud dough” I feel like it turns into more of a homemade-kinetic sand texture. I used 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of olive oil. You can use any kind of oil and it will work just fine! You can mix it all into a mixing bowl, at first i used a fork and then moved onto mixing it with my hands. Once I was able to form a ball with it I knew it was the perfect mixture. If you are just doing tubs or a smaller bin than what I did (which was the Flisat Table) use half the amount of flour and your oil. *another tip: use 1 tsp vanilla to make it smell better 🙂
- Dump “cloud dough” into the sensory bin and hide dinosaurs- for extra “dirt” look i added a bit of chia seeds to the mixture as I was laying it out. Then I hid the dinosaurs under it for my son to unbury and find!
- Use pebbles and whatever else you’d like for the “playzone” for the dinosaurs.
- Fill another bin with water, you can use bath color tablets and make it extra blue just for fun!
- Make sure to grab some things around the house like a brush to dust the dinosaurs off and a small shovel for you child to dig out the dinosaurs!
More Posts By Liz that you may enjoy!
- Step by Step Budget Friendly Modern Wood Accent Wall You’re Going to Love
- Important Links
- One Exhausted Mom to Another.
- Dino Dig Wash n Play Sensory Bin Activity
- Super Simple Rainbow Spaghetti Sensory Play